I find myself grinning from ear to ear, 5 months into my new job as Asst. GM. My staff are happy, I can tell. They are motivated, in high spirit and enjoying 🙂
My boss-friend has great plans for them but because of his work load, he just couldn’t execute those plans. And now, I am there to help him. I can feel that he is also glad and thankful for my presence.
So so far, here are some of the very simple things that I have done. They are not really original nor earth shattering but since it is their first time, its impact may be just like that:
– celebratory dinner since we had a breakthrough August. They were used to only having Christmas Party and summer outing so this was something new to them.
– Business Review. Not really a first but first to use a template and they were glad that they had proper tools.
– Out of town Christmas Party and teambuilding
– Hiring of additional employees to lighten their load
– Helped coordinate for the installation of e-system that was purchased months before I came in but the installation kept on being postponed.
– Food in my room that they can get if they are hungry, harharhar!
– Manual of Company Regulations for their guidance
– Several memos to formalize SOPs
– Formal letter on regularization and (depending on their performance) an increase to deserving employees
– Formation of Sales Support Group
– Teambuilding and an out of town Christmas party
– Trip incentive to HONG KONG! Ok. Let me tell you that our staff are just simple people. Most of them haven’t gone overseas. That is why this opportunity is BIG for them. For them to get this incentive, I gave them an ambituous BUT realistic target. They have to grow the company by almost 50%. My boss-friend and I explained how and where they can get the growth drivers for them to achieve, and may be even exceed, the target. They understood, concurred and took on the challenge with much positivity and enthusiasm.
– And other small stuff
My boss-friend is a very, very good sales manager. He knows the business so well. He knows what he wants to achieve and I am inspired by him. I am happy, too, that he is supportive of my proposals. He understands that everything I do, I do it because I want to help him achieve his big dreams for his company. I start with the staff because I know that they will give their best – and more – if they are motivated.
Our staff deserve to be taken cared of. They are very efficient at what they do. They extend and go beyond what is expected of them. Hence, in a very short span of time that I have been with them, I grew to value them.
EDITED TO ADD:
I have this post in draft for several months already but I have never gotten to publish it. Anyway, it is now December and I am so pleased to announce that the company reached its incentive target and they are going to HONG KONG! We ended at P1.2M more than our target! Really, happy staff means happy life.